I’ve been posting artist quotes on my Facebook page and in my email signatures lately, particularly since I decided to take the plunge and start considering my art (and myself as an artist) more seriously.
What I had discovered then, to absolutely no one’s surprise, is that there was a distinctive lack of diversity among the historical artists we generally think of as “The Masters” in western history. So, every week I start off my Monday with a little bit of research into artists who are not typically included in quick lists of the greats.
Here are the quotes I’ve collected so far, along with links to finding out more about these artists in the image descriptions (hint: click!), and a link roll at the bottom…
Online Bib (my research for discovering some of these artists):
- 10 Transgender Art Creatives whose Work You should Follow, Widewalls
- Groundbreaking Latin Artists who aren’t Frida Kahlo, Dazed
- 13 Latina Artists Changing the Contemporary Art Landscape, Huffington Post
- Latina Artists Fighting Injustice and Uplifting Latinx Culture, Hip Latina
- Nine Totally Badass Latina Artists in the Hammer’s “Radical Women” Show, Artspace
- These are the 9 Powerful Latina Artists I’m Addicted to on Instagram, Fierce
- 11 Latina Photographers You Need to Know, Good
- 10 Female Artists of Color on the Rise, The Root
- 11 Social Justice Artists You Need to Know, Vivala